Emergency and standby generators are a sizable investment. Should a generator fail to perform during a power outage, you can be faced with financial losses and possibly, dangerous conditions. The best way to insure that your generator will perform when needed is implementing a maintenance program.
Load bank testing is a critical component to a comprehensive maintenance program. Holt of California offers customized load bank testing to ensure our customers comply with NFPA 99, NFPA 110, OSHPOD and Joint Commissions regulations. We offer both resistive and reactive load bank testing.
Resistive Load Bank Testing
The resistive load bank testing process involves a gradual increase of the power load to determine the level of electricity production at the full power rating. It can also indicate whether the unit is releasing exhaust gases correctly and if the cooling system is allowing sufficient heat to escape. Additionally, this generator load bank test includes an assessment of the fuel and oil systems and other critical components.
Highlights of this load bank testing service conducted by Holt of California include:
- Tests the engine at 100% load
- Tests the cooling system operation at the generator set's full operating capacity
- Tests the fuel system operation at engine full operating capacity
- Eliminates exhaust wet stacking by burning off built-up fuel and oil carbon deposits and reseating the rings
- Evaporates moisture from the engine oil which reduces harmful acid formation and also coats the internal engine components with oil to further prevent internal corrosion
- Testing Capacity up to 10 megawatts @ 120 VAC thru 13.8 KV
Reactive Load Bank Testing
Reactive load bank testing is more complex and time-consuming than its restrictive counterpart. It's typically the better option when the generator supplies electricity to capacitors, transformers and motor-driven equipment. During the process, the load converts the electrical current into a measurable magnetic field while resisting voltage changes that can cause the circuit current to lead voltage.
Here's a brief overview of this load bank testing method:
- Tests the generator at its full KVA/power factor capacity
- Tests simulate the actual power factor load found in most facilities
- Tests the generator voltage regulator at the full range of response and operating capabilities
- Tests are used to simulate and verify load sharing and voltage regulation on multiple unit paralleled systems
- Testing capacity unlimited
- Tests the distribution system from the point of tie-in to the generator output leads
Services are performed and documented by our factory-trained technicians. We call you to schedule an appointment when you're due for service.
Learn More About Our Load Bank Testing Service
Could your business benefit from load bank testing for your diesel generators? Holt of California Power Systems is ready to help. To learn more about our services, call us at 800-452-4888 to speak to a representative or schedule your first appointment. You can also fill out and submit our online contact form.