120M2 AWD Motor GraderGet A Quote
The M Series 2 continues the legacy of quality already established by Cat Motor Graders. The extensive validation program, combined with improvements to the manufacturing process, allows Caterpillar to further enhance our quality. The end result of this development process is a motor grader line with breakthrough technologies, tested in the field and built around real applications and real customer needs. M Series 2 Motor Graders meet Tier 4 Interim/Stage IIIB equivalent emission standards.
- 19.8 in
- 6.8 in
- Sidewall Thickness – Inner
- 0.5 in
- Sidewall Thickness – Outer
- 0.6 in
- Drive Chain Pitch
- 1.8 in
- Wheel Axle Spacing
- 59.5 in
- Tandem Oscillation – Front Up
- Tandem Oscillation – Front Down
- ISO 3450
- ISO 3471/ISO 3449
- ISO 6394; ISO 6395
- ISO 5010
- Circuit Type
- Pump Type
- Variable Piston
- Pump Output
- 55.7 gal/min
- Maximum System Pressure
- 3500.0 psi
- Reservoir Tank Capacity
- 15.85 gal
- Standby Pressure
- 609.0 psi
- Operating Weight – Typically Equipped
- 41859.0 lb
- Gross Vehicle Weight – Maximum – Front Axle
- 15675.0 lb
- Gross Vehicle Weight – Maximum – Rear Axle
- 33312.0 lb
- Operating Weight, Typically Equipped – Front Axle
- 11614.0 lb
- Operating Weight, Typically Equipped – Rear Axle
- 30244.0 lb
- Gross Vehicle Weight – Base – Front Axle
- 9777.0 lb
- Gross Vehicle Weight – Base – Rear Axle
- 27438.0 lb
- Gross Vehicle Weight – Maximum – Total
- 48987.0 lb
- Gross Vehicle Weight – Base – Total
- 37214.0 lb
- Operating Weight, Typically Equipped – Total
- 41859.0 lb
- Drawbar – Width
- 3.0 in
- Circle – Diameter
- 60.2 in
- Circle – Blade Beam Thickness
- 1.4 in
- Drawbar – Height
- 6.0 in
- Front Frame Structure – Height
- 11.0 in
- Front Frame Structure – Width
- 8.0 in
- Drawbar – Thickness
- 0.4 in
- Front-Top/Bottom Plate – Width
- 10.0 in
- Front-Top/Bottom Plate – Thickness
- 0.87 in
- Front Axle – Height to Center
- 22.5 in
- Front Axle – Wheel Lean, Left/Right
- Front Axle – Total Oscillation per Side
- Top Speed – Forward
- 28.4 mph
- Top Speed – Reverse
- 22.4 mph
- Turning Radius, Outside Front Tires
- 24.3 ft
- Steering Range – Left/Right
- Articulation Angle – Left/Right
- Forward – 1st
- 2.5 mph
- Forward – 2nd
- 3.4 mph
- Forward – 3rd
- 4.9 mph
- Forward – 4th
- 6.7 mph
- Forward – 5th
- 10.4 mph
- Forward – 6th
- 14.2 mph
- Forward – 7th
- 19.5 mph
- Forward – 8th
- 28.4 mph
- Reverse – 1st
- 1.9 mph
- Reverse – 2nd
- 3.9 mph
- Reverse – 3rd
- 5.3 mph
- Reverse – 4th
- 8.2 mph
- Reverse – 5th
- 15.4 mph
- Reverse – 6th
- 22.4 mph
- Ripper Shank Holder Spacing
- 21.0 in
- Ripping Depth – Maximum
- 8.9 in
- Ripper Shank Holders
- Penetration Force
- 17692.0 lb
- Pryout Force
- 5660.0 lb
- Machine Length Increase, Beam Raised
- 41.5 in
- Fuel Capacity
- 100.0 gal
- Cooling System
- 12.9 gal
- Hydraulic System – Tank
- 16.9 gal
- Engine Oil
- 7.9 gal
- Transmission/Differential/Final Drives
- 16.5 gal
- Tandem Housing (each)
- 15.6 gal
- Front Wheel Spindle Bearing Housing
- 0.13 gal
- Circle Drive Housing
- 1.8 gal
- Base Power (1st gear) – Net
- 145.0 hp
- Engine Model
- Cat® C7.1 ACERT™
- 4.13 in
- 5.31 in
- Speed @ Rated Power
- 2,100 rpm
- AWD Range – Net
- 114-156 kW (153-209 hp)
- AWD Range – Net (Metric)
- 114-156 kW (155-212 hp)
- Base Power (1st gear) – Net (Metric)
- 147.0 hp
- Base Power (all gears) – Net
- 145.0 hp
- Tier 4 Interim/Stage IIIB equivalent
- Hi Ambient – Fan Speed – Standard
- 1,000 rpm
- Maximum Torque
- 693.0 lb ft
- Standard Capability
- 109.0 ° F
- Torque Rise
- VHP Plus Range – Net
- 108-141 kW (145-189 hp)
- VHP Plus Range – Net (Metric)
- 108-141 kW (147-192 hp)
- VHP Plus – gear 1F, Net
- 145.0 hp
- VHP Plus – gear 2F, Net
- 153.0 hp
- VHP Plus – gear 3F, Net
- 161.0 hp
- VHP Plus – gear 4F, Net
- 169.0 hp
- VHP Plus – gear 5F, Net
- 174.0 hp
- VHP Plus – gear 6F, Net
- 179.0 hp
- VHP Plus – gear 7F, Net
- 184.0 hp
- VHP Plus – gear 8F, Net
- 189.0 hp
- 428.0 in3
- Number of Cylinders
- Derating Altitude
- 10000.0 ft
- High Ambient – Fan Speed – Maximum
- 1,350 rpm
- High Ambient – Fan Speed – Minimum
- 500 rpm
- High Ambient Capability
- 122.0 ° F
- Forward/Reverse Gears
- 8 Forward/6 Reverse
- Direct Drive, Powershift
- Brakes – Service
- Multiple Oil Disc
- Brakes – Service, Surface Area
- 3565.0 in2
- Brakes – Parking
- Multiple Oil Disc
- Brakes – Secondary
- Dual Circuit
- Circle Centershift – Right
- 25.8 in
- Circle Centershift – Left
- 25.8 in
- Moldboard Sideshift – Right
- 26.0 in
- Moldboard Sideshift – Left
- 20.1 in
- Maximum Blade Position Angle
- Blade Tip Range – Forward
- Blade Tip Range – Backward
- Maximum Shoulder Reach Outside of Tires – Right
- 75.0 in
- Maximum Shoulder Reach Outside of Tires – Left
- 68.6 in
- Maximum Lift above Ground
- 16.8 in
- Maximum Depth of Cut
- 28.3 in
- Blade Width
- 12.0 ft
- Moldboard – Height
- 24.0 in
- Moldboard – Thickness
- 0.87 in
- Arc Radius
- 16.3 in
- Throat Clearance
- 4.9 in
- Cutting Edge – Width
- 6.0 in
- Cutting Edge – Thickness
- 0.6 in
- End Bit – Width
- 6.0 in
- End Bit – Thickness
- 0.6 in
- Blade Pull – Base GVW
- 23737.0 lb
- Blade Pull – Maximum GVW
- 44088.0 lb
- Blade Down Pressure – Base GVW
- 15030.0 lb
- Blade Down Pressure – Maximum GVW
- 27235.0 lb
- Front, V-Type, 5 or 11 Tooth – Scarifier Shank Holder Spacing
- 4.6 in
- Front, V-Type, 5 or 11 Tooth – Scarifier Shank Holders
- Front, V-Type, 5 or 11 Tooth – Scarifying Depth, Maximum
- 18.4 in
- Front, V-Type, 5 or 11 Tooth – Working Width
- 40.6 in
- Front, V-Type: Working Width
- 47.4 in
- Mid, Straight – Ripping Depth, Maximum
- 12.5 in
- Mid, Straight – Scarifier Shank Holder Spacing
- 4.4 in
- Mid, Straight – Scarifier Shank Holders
- Mid, Straight – Scarifying Depth, Maximum
- 16.8 in
- Mid, Straight – Working Width
- 71.0 in
- Mid, V-Type – Scarifier Shank Holder Spacing
- 4.6 in
- Mid, V-Type – Scarifier Shank Holders
- Mid, V-Type – Scarifying Depth, Maximum
- 11.5 in
- Mid, V-Type – Working Width
- 46.6 in
Comfort, productivity, advanced technology
Angled cab doors, a tapered engine enclosure and patented sloped rear window assure excellent visibility to the work area.
Maximum Control, Maximum Comfort
Caterpillar has built the most comfortable cab in the industry, replacing the control levers and steering wheel with two joystick controls, and lengthening the cab for more leg room. Machine design features, like angled doors, provide excellent visibility.
The Cat Comfort Series suspension seat and arm/wrist rests are fully adjustable for improved comfort and productivity. Extra leg room, easy-to-reach long-life rocker switches and revolutionary joystick controls make this the most comfortable cab in the industry.
Standard HVAC System
The high capacity system dehumidifies and pressurizes the cab, circulates fresh air, seals out dust and keeps windows clear.
Low Interior Sound and Vibration Levels
Multiple isolation mounts along with relocated hydraulic pump and valves significantly improve operator comfort and productivity.
In-Dash Instrument Cluster
Easy-to-read, high-visibility gauges and warning lamps keep the operator aware of critical system information.
Steering and Implement Controls
Unprecedented precision and ease of operation
Ease of Operation
Two electro-hydraulic joysticks require up to 78% less hand and wrist movement than conventional lever controls for greatly enhanced operator comfort and efficiency. The intuitive control pattern allows both new and experienced operators to quickly become productive.
Electronically adjustable control pods help position joysticks for optimal comfort, visibility and proper operation.
- The left joystick primarily controls the machine direction and speed including steering, articulation, return-to-center, wheel lean, gear selection, left moldboard lift cylinder and float.
- The right joystick primarily controls drawbar, circle and moldboard functions including right moldboard lift cylinder and float, moldboard slide and tip, circle turn, drawbar center shift, electronic throttle control and manual differential lock/unlock.
Intuitive Steering Control
Joystick lean angle mirrors the steer tires’ turning angle. A brake tensioning system holds the joystick in position until the operator moves it. The steering control automatically reduces steering sensitivity at higher ground speeds for comfortable and predictable control.
Electronic Throttle Control
Provides easy, precise and consistent throttle operation. An automatic/manual mode switch offers flexibility for different applications and operator preferences.
Automatically returns the machine to a straight frame position from any angle with the touch of a button.
Auxiliary Pod and Ripper Control (Optional)
Ergonomically positioned to allow simple, comfortable operation for the multiple hydraulic options.
- Four fingertip controls and a mini joystick maximize control of up to six hydraulic circuits. Individual functions can be programmed with Electronic Technician (Cat ET). The auxiliary hydraulic pod is provided when the machine is configured with three or more auxiliary functions.
- Infinitely variable roller switches provide precise control of the rear ripper and/or front lift group (when equipped).
Optional Advanced Control Joysticks
Cat Advanced Control Joysticks allow the operator to easily control automated grading solutions, Cat GRADE with Cross Slope, AccuGrade™, and Snow Wing. Both new and experienced operators can also configure auxiliary hydraulic functions (such as ripper, front plow blade, etc.) without taking their hands off the controls decreasing fatigue, increasing productivity.
Reliable, integrated solutions
Cat NOx Reduction System
The Cat NOx Reduction System captures and cools a small quantity of exhaust gas, then routes it into the combustion chamber where it drives down combustion temperatures and reduces NOx emissions.
To meet Tier 4 Interim/Stage IIIB equivalent emission standards and beyond, Cat aftertreatment components have been designed to match application needs. System components include a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC), which uses a chemical process to convert regulated emissions in the exhaust system, and a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) that traps particulate matter that is carried into the exhaust stream.
The DOC, DPF and Cat Regeneration System are contained in a Caterpillar designed Clean Emission Module (CEM) that protects the components, minimizes the aftertreatment footprint and simplifies maintenance.
Cat Regeneration System
The Cat Regeneration System is designed to work transparently, without any interaction needed from the operator. Under most operating conditions, engine exhaust is hot enough to oxidize soot through passive regeneration. If supplemental regeneration is needed, the Cat Regeneration System elevates exhaust gas temperatures to remove soot in the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). This is a process that happens automatically, but the operator can initiate the cycle when convenient or interrupt regeneration as needed. A soot level monitor can be viewed on the Cat Messenger screen and regeneration indicator lights are integrated into the front console.
Power and reliability
A C7.1 ACERT engine and Cat Clean Emissions Module deliver the performance and efficiency that customers demand, while meeting Tier 4 Interim/Stage IIIB equivalent emission standards.
The C7.1 ACERT has superior torque and lugging capability to pull through sudden, short-term loads and maintain consistent, desirable grading speeds to get work done faster without downshifting. The High Pressure Common Rail Fuel System improves precision and control with full electronic injection that boosts performance and reduces soot.
Hydraulic Demand Fan
The hydraulic demand fan automatically adjusts cooling fan speed according to engine cooling requirements. This reduces demand on the engine, putting more horsepower to the ground and improves fuel efficiency. Swing-out design allows easy access to cooling cores and reduces clean out time.
Maximum power to the ground
Automatic Differential Lock
Unlocks the differential during a turn, re-locks when straight, for easier operation and lower power train protection.
The Cat sealed spindle keeps bearings free from contaminants and lubricated in a light weight oil. The Cat “Live Spindle” design places the larger tapered roller bearing outboard where the load is greater, extending bearing life.
Allows precise control of machine movements and excellent modulation, critical in close-quarter work or finish grading.
Smooth Shifting Transmission
Several key innovations ensure smooth, powerful shifts.
- Full Electronic Clutch Pressure Control (ECPC) system optimizes inching modulation for smooth shifts and directional changes, reducing stress on gears.
- Controlled Throttle Shifting helps to smooth directional and gear changes without using the inching pedal.
- Load Compensation ensures consistent shift quality regardless of blade or machine load.
- This standard feature automatically shifts the transmission at optimal points so the operator can focus on the work to help improve safety, productivity and ease of operation.
- Power Shift Countershaft Transmission and the Cat C7.1 engine maximize power to the ground. Eight forward/six reverse gears optimize productivity.
- Engine Over-Speed Protection prevents downshifting until an acceptable safe travel speed has been established.
Bolt-On Modular Rear Axle
Improves serviceability and contamination control with easy access to differential components.
Hydraulically actuated, oil bathed, multi-disc service brakes at each tandem wheel (1) offer the industry’s largest total brake surface area (2) for dependable stopping power and long brake life. The brake wear indicator/compensator system (3) maintains brake performance and indicates brake wear without disassembly, for fast servicing and longer brake service life. The spring-applied, hydraulically released multi-disc parking brake, sealed and oil-cooled for long life and low service, is integrated into the Operator Presence System to prevent unintended machine movement.
Structures and DCM
Service ease and precise blade control
Heavy Duty Durability
The frame, drawbar and one-piece forged steel circle are designed for durability in heavy duty applications. The strong A-frame drawbar uses a durable tubular design. The front 240° of circle teeth are hardened to reduce wear and ensure component reliability.
A large tapered roller bearing at the lower pivot carries loads evenly and smoothly. Sealed to prevent contamination, a locking pin prevents articulation for safety during service or transport.
Aggressive Blade Angle
Allows material to roll more freely along the blade, particularly dry materials or cohesive soils. Better material control gets the job done faster, requires less power and saves fuel.
Fast, Easy Adjustment Means Tight Components
Shims and patented top-adjust wear strips are easy to add or replace, dramatically reducing downtime and operating costs. Durable nylon composite wear inserts maximize circle torque and component life. Sacrificial brass wear strips between the blade mounting group and moldboard can be replaced easily. Shimless Moldboard Retention System uses vertical and horizontal adjusting screws to keep moldboard wear strips aligned for reduced blade chatter, precise blade control and dramatic reductions in service time.
Heat-treated rails, hardened cutting edges and end bits, and heavy duty bolts assure reliability and long service life. The link bar allows extreme moldboard positioning for bank sloping, ditch cutting and cleaning.
“Smart” Machine Systems
Sharing key data among systems helps optimize machine performance and aids serviceability.
- Cat Messenger, combined with full systems integration, enhances diagnostic capability. Machine system errors are displayed in both text and fault codes for quick analysis of critical data.
- Electronic Technician (Cat ET) lets service technicians access stored diagnostic data and configure machine parameters through the Cat Data Link.
- Low Battery Elevated Idle raises idle speed when low system voltage is detected, ensuring adequate system voltage and improving battery reliability.
- Automatic Engine Deration protects the engine and aftertreatment by automatically lowering engine torque output and alerting the operator if critical conditions are detected.
All-Wheel Drive (AWD)
Expanded machine versatility
All Wheel Drive (AWD)
The AWD arrangement utilizes dedicated left and right pumps for precise hydraulic control. The infinitely variable pumps and motors maximize torque in each gear. This delivers the most power to the ground in the industry and increases productivity.
Maximum Net Power
When AWD is engaged, flywheel horsepower is automatically increased up to an additional 45 kW (60 hp) from base power. This offsets the parasitic losses and maximizes net power to the ground for increased productivity.
Standard with AWD, this mode disengages the transmission and provides hydraulic power to the front wheels only. The ground speed is infinitely variable between 0-8 km/h (0-5 mph), perfect for precise finish work.
Cat Steering Compensation System enables a “powered turn” by adjusting the outside front tire speed up to 50% faster than the inside tire. The result is improved control, less damage to surfaces and a dramatic reduction of turning radius in poor underfoot conditions.
Monitor, manage, and enhance job site operations
Cat Connect makes smart use of technology and services to improve your job site efficiency. Using the data from technology-equipped machines, you’ll get more information and insight into your equipment and operations than ever before.
LINK technologies, like Product Link™, are deeply integrated into your machine and wirelessly communicates key information, including location, hours, fuel usage, idle time and event codes.
Easy access to Product Link data via the online VisionLink user interface can help you see how your machine or fleet is performing. You can use this information to make timely, fact based decisions that can boost job site efficiency and productivity, and lower costs.
Grade technologies combine digital design data and in-cab guidance to help you reach target grade quickly and accurately, with minimal staking and checking. That means you’ll be more productive, complete jobs faster, in fewer passes, using less fuel, at a lower cost.
Cat GRADE with Cross Slope
Cat GRADE with Cross Slope is an integrated 2D system that provides automated control to one side of the blade to help operators more easily achieve accurate surface cross slope. The system calculates blade slope positioning and adjusts the left or right cylinder to achieve target slope, reducing operator inputs by up to 50%. The operator can select which side of the blade to control automatically and swap direction on the return pass without readjusting the settings. Elevation is controlled manually by matching grade or automatically by adding an elevation control device, such as a sonic or laser. The operator can monitor cross slope in real-time on the in-cab display and make quick adjustments using integrated joystick buttons while keeping hands on the controls.
Cross slope systems are ideal for maintaining accurate cross slope over long distances with greater consistency and less effort. Add AccuGrade for additional 2D and/or 3D control.
The dealer-installed AccuGrade system uses a dedicated monitor with a digital design plan for 3D blade slope and elevation control. AccuGrade indicates precisely where to work and how much to cut or fill – eliminating staking and checking. Plug and play capability simplifies upgrading. Choose from sonic or laser for flat planes and slopes, and satellite (GNSS) or total station (UTS) control for large complex designs.
Optional Stable Grade detects and reduces machine bounce during operation before it negatively affects the desired grade by reducing engine rpm at 15% intervals as needed to stabilize machine bounce. Once the motor grader has stabilized, Stable Grade modulates increased speed back to the set level.
Advanced machine control
Advanced Electro-Hydraulic System
Incorporates a state-of-the-art electro-hydraulic system as the foundation for revolutionary changes in machine and advanced joystick controls.
Allows the blade to move freely under its own weight. By floating both cylinders, the blade can follow the contours of the road, especially useful when removing snow. Floating only one cylinder permits the toe of the blade to follow a hard surface while the operator controls the slope with the other lift cylinder.
Independent Oil Supply
Large, separate hydraulic oil supplies prevent cross-contamination and provide proper oil cooling, which reduces heat build-up and extends component life.
Load Sensing Hydraulics (PPPC)
The proven load-sensing system and the advanced Proportional Priority Pressure-Compensating (PPPC or “triple P – C”) electro-hydraulic valves provide superior implement control and enhanced machine performance in all applications. Continuously matching hydraulic flow/pressure to power demands creates less heat and reduces power consumption.
- Consistent, Predictable Movement – PPPC valves have different flow rates for the head (red) and rod ends (blue) of the cylinder, ensuring consistent extension and retraction speeds.
- Balanced Flow – Hydraulic flow is proportioned so all implements operate simultaneously with little effect on the engine or implement speeds.
Work Tools and Attachments
Equip your machine for the job
Standard 3.7 m (12 ft) or optional 4.3 m (14 ft). Left and right side extensions are also available.
Ground Engaging Tools (GET)
A variety of tools are available from Cat Work Tools, including cutting edges, graderbits and end bits, all designed for maximum service life and productivity.
Front Mounted Groups
A front mounted push plate/counterweight or front lift group are available. The front lift group can be combined with a front dozer blade or front scarifier for added versatility.
Made to penetrate tough material fast and rip thoroughly for easier movement with the moldboard. The ripper includes three shanks (with holders for five). Nine scarifier shanks can also be added for additional versatility.
Snow Removal Work Tools
Multiple snow plow, snow wing and mounting options increase machine versatility and utilization throughout the year.
Protect your most valuable resource
Designed with Protection in Mind
Features are designed to enhance operator and job site safety, such as drop-down rear lights and a rearview camera. Among many standard safety features are laminated glass, back-up lights, and perforated tandem walkways and grab rails.
Operator Presence System
The parking brake remains engaged and hydraulic implements disabled until the operator is initially seated and the machine is ready for operation.
Secondary Steering System
Automatically engages an electric hydraulic pump in case of a drop in steering pressure, allowing the operator to steer the machine to a stop.
A simple switch located in the cab disables all implement functions while still providing machine steering control. This safety feature is especially useful while roading.
Brakes are located at each tandem wheel to eliminate braking loads on the power train. Redundant brake systems utilize accumulators to enable stopping in case of machine failure, further increasing operational safety.
Circle Drive Slip Clutch
This standard feature protects the drawbar, circle and moldboard from shock loads when the blade encounters an immovable object. It also reduces the possibility of abrupt directional changes in poor traction conditions.
Blade Lift Accumulators (Optional)
This optional feature uses accumulators to help absorb impact loads to the moldboard by allowing vertical blade travel. Blade lift accumulators help reduce unnecessary wear and also help reduce impact loading for enhanced operator safety.
Rearview Camera (Optional)
Visibility is further enhanced with an optional Work Area Vision System (WAVS) through a 178 mm (7 in) LCD color monitor in the cab. Developed specifically for rugged applications, this durable camera improves productivity and increases operator awareness of surroundings.
Front and Rear Fenders (Optional)
To help reduce objects flying from the tires, as well as build-up of mud, snow and debris, optional fenders can be added.
Unparalleled worldwide support
Renowned Dealer Service
From helping you choose the right machine to financing and ongoing support, your Cat dealer provides the best in sales and service.
Manage your costs with preventive maintenance programs like S?O?SSM analysis, Coolant Sampling and guaranteed maintenance contracts.
Stay productive with best-in-class parts availability. Your Cat dealer can even help boost your profits with operator training.
And when it’s time for component replacement, your Cat dealer can help you save even more. Genuine Cat Remanufactured parts carry the same warranty and reliability as new products at savings of 40 to 70 percent for power train and hydraulic components.
Thinking generations ahead
M Series 2 Motor Graders are designed to benefit your business and reduce emissions.
- Cat engine and aftertreatment meet Tier 4 Interim/Stage IIIB equivalent emission standards.
- Integrated machine systems and technologies improve productivity for greater accuracy, lower fuel use and reduced machine wear.
- Replaceable wear parts save maintenance time and cost, and extend major component life.
- Major structures and components are built to be rebuilt, reducing waste and replacement costs.
- Extended service intervals reduce maintenance time/cost and waste.
- A variety of safety features help safeguard operators and others on the job site.
- POWER TRAIN
- OPERATOR ENVIRONMENT
- TIRES, RIMS AND WHEELS
- OTHER STANDARD EQUIPMENT