D6N Track-Type TractorGet A Quote
The latest in the line of Cat D6N dozers combines well-known versatility with a range of technology features to give you more job site productivity than ever before. A new transmission with lock-up clutch torque converter delivers ease of operation, increased net power, plus a 10-15 percent improvement in fuel efficiency. The D6N has the weight and horsepower you want for dozing applications and the balance and stability you need for finish grading – all in one easy-to-transport machine.
- FOPS (Falling Object Protective Structure) meets ISO 3449-2005 Level II.
- ROPS (Rollover Protective Structure) offered by Caterpillar for the machine meets ROPS criteria ISO 3471:2008.
- Brakes meet the standard ISO 10265:2008.
Sustainability – Sound and Vibration Levels
- *Values are for an experienced operator in a dozing application, consult the Operating and Maintenance Manual for details.
- Sound Levels – Average Exterior Sound Pressure Level
- Sound Levels – Dynamic Operator Sound Pressure Level (LpA)
- Sound Levels – Maximum Sound Power Level
- Vibration Levels – Maximum Hand/Arm*
- 2.5 m/s2 (8.2 ft/s2)
- Vibration Levels – Maximum Whole Body*
- 0.5 m/s2 (1.6 ft/s2)
- Vibration Levels – Seat Transmissibility Factor
- Less Than 0.7
- Engine Model
- Cat® C7.1 ACERT™
- Flywheel Power
- 166 hp
- 4.1 in
- 5.3 in
- 433 in3
- U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final/EU Stage IV/Korea Tier 4 Final
- Engine Power – ISO 14396
- 182 hp
- Engine Power – ISO 14396 (DIN)
- 178 hp
- Engine Speed 1,850 rpm – Net Power
- 180 hp
- Net Power – EU 80/1269/EEC
- 166 hp
- Net Power – ISO 9249 (DIN)
- 168 hp
- Operating Weight
- 36943 lb
- LGP VPAT Blade
- 2720 lb
- LGP VPAT Foldable
- 3287 lb
- LGP VPAT Landfill
- 3166 lb
- Multi-shank Ripper (with 3 shanks)
- 2959 lb
- XL SU Blade
- 5732 lb
- XL VPAT Blade
- 2341 lb
- XL VPAT Foldable
- 2762 lb
- XL VPAT Landfill
- 2912 lb
- Operating Weight – XL
- 36943 lb
- Shipping Weight – XL
- 36153 lb
- Operating Weight – LGP
- 40446 lb
- Shipping Weight – LGP
- 39339 lb
Service Refill Capacities
- Fuel Tank
- 73.2 gal
- Cooling System
- 10.6 gal
- Final Drives (each)
- 1.8 gal
- Hydraulic Tank
- 7.8 gal
- Each Additional Shank
- 172 lb
- Maximum Clearance, Raised (Shank Tip)
- 24.5 in
- Maximum Penetration Force – LGP
- 9667 lb
- Maximum Penetration Force – XL
- 11600 lb
- Maximum Pry-out Force – LGP
- 38217 lb
- Maximum Pry-out Force – XL
- 47480 lb
- Pocket Spacing
- 3.3 ft
- Shank Gauge
- 6.6 ft
- Shank Section
- 73 mm × 176 mm (2.9 in × 6.9 in)
- Weight – with Three Shanks
- 3444 lb
- Fixed Parallelogram
- Number of Pockets
- Overall Beam Width
- 86.7 in
- Beam Cross Section
- 216 mm × 254 mm (8.5 in × 10.0 in)
- Maximum Penetration – XL
- 20.2 in
- Maximum Penetration – LGP
- 15.6 in
- 1.5 Forward
- 1.6 mph
- 2.0 Forward
- 1.5 mph
- 2.5 Forward
- 1.7 mph
- 3.0 Forward
- 1.6 mph
- 3.5 Forward
- 2.1 mph
- 1.5 Reverse
- 1.9 mph
- 2.0 Reverse
- 2.7 mph
- 1.5 Forward – Drawbar Pull
- 3.0 lb
- 2.5 Forward* – Drawbar Pull
- 3.6 lb
- 2.5 Reverse*
- 4.7 mph
- 3.0 Reverse*
- 5.2 mph
- 3.5 Forward* – Drawbar Pull
- 6.1 lb
- 3.5 Reverse*
- 1.9 mph
- Cable Ferrule Size (O.D. × Length)
- 54 mm × 67 mm (2.13 in × 2.63 in)
- Maximum Bare Drum – Line Pull
- 69200 lb
- Maximum Bare Drum – Line Speed
- 141 ft/min
- Maximum Full Drum – Line Pull
- 44410 lb
- Maximum Full Drum – Line Speed
- 217 ft/min
- Overall Width
- 38.4 in
- Rope Diameter (recommended)
- 0.875 in
- Winch Drive
- Winch Model
- Oil Capacity
- 19.55 gal
- Winch and Bracket Length
- 45.1 in
- Winch Case – Width
- 38.4 in
- Drum Diameter
- 10 in
- Drum Width
- 12.4 in
- Flange Diameter
- 19.8 in
- Drum Capacity – 22 mm (0.88 in)
- 288.75 ft
- Width of Shoe – XL
- 24.0 in
- Width of Shoe – LGP
- 33.1 in
- Shoes/Side – XL
- Shoes/Side – LGP
- Track Gauge – XL
- 74.4 in
- Track Gauge – LGP
- 85.0 in
- Track on Ground – XL
- 102.6 in
- Track on Ground – LGP
- 122.4 in
- Ground Contact Area – XL
- 5518 in2
- Ground Contact Area – LGP
- 8928 in2
- Track Rollers/Side – XL
- Track Rollers/Side – LGP
- Ground Pressure* – LGP
- 6.7 psi
- Ground Pressure* – XL
- 4.5 psi
- Grouser Height – LGP
- 2.6 in
- Grouser Height – XL
- 2.2 in
- *ISO 16754
- LGP VPAT Foldable Blade Capacity
- 5.1 yd3
- LGP VPAT Foldable Blade Width
- 13.42 ft
- XL SU – Blade Capacity
- 5.6 yd3
- XL SU – Blade Width
- 10.33 ft
- XL, VPAT – Blade Capacity
- 4.3 yd3
- XL VPAT – Blade Width
- 10.75 ft
- LGP, VPAT – Blade Capacity
- 5.1 yd3
- LGP VPAT – Blade Width
- 13.42 ft
Comfort and productivity
Roomier cab with a wider entry offers added comforts like a heated/ventilated seat option, manually adjustable armrests, larger cup holder and auxiliary power port. Smoother shifting and a quieter engine add to overall operator comfort. Modified cab seals and ducts help improve heating and air conditioning performance, and a redesigned cab/fresh air filter helps keep the cab cleaner. A color LCD display shows vital operating information, as well as Slope Indicate real-time machine mainfall and cross slope. A grade control display can be integrated right into the dash so data is available at a glance.
Implement and Steering Controls
- Machine direction, forward/reverse shifting and gear selection are all combined into a single tiller control located on the left armrest.
- Standard Electro-hydraulic controls are designed for low effort. Operators have precise control of the blade and rear attachments, as well as the functions of a 6-way VPAT blade.
- A variable throttle control dial lets you use preset engine speeds, or select Enhanced Auto Shift modes.
- Bi-directional shift allows you to automatically select the desired forward/reverse speeds or a custom setting.
- Selectable Electro-Hydraulic Maps set the implement response levels – fine, medium, coarse – to match operator preferences and tailor the machine to individual applications.
- Implement Lock-Out prevents inadvertent operation of hydraulic attachments.
Power and Performance
Designed to get the job done
A Cat C7.1 ACERT engine gives you the power and reliability you need. Improved fuel economy over the previous model and efficient use of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) gives you excellent overall fluid efficiency.
A single plane design makes cleanout easier, and durable aluminum bar plate construction gives you superior heat transfer and corrosion resistance. A swing-out door provides easy access for cleanout.
In cooler conditions, an improved variable speed demand fan slows down to conserve power, save fuel and reduce sound levels.
An optional manually reversing fan is available for high debris conditions, and an optional sand blast grid can help protect the radiator from abrasive materials and debris.
Transmission controls will automatically select the drive mode best suited to your application, providing increased productivity and efficiency.* The new transmission with a lock-up clutch torque converter gives you the performance of direct drive with the ease of operation of power shift.
Enhanced Auto Shift
Standard Enhanced Auto Shift helps you save fuel by automatically upshifting/downshifting to maintain the most efficient gear based on load. Three different settings – 3-speed, 6-speed and fine adjustment mode – allow you to optimize tractor performance to match material and job site conditions.
Differential Steering maintains full power to both tracks for best-in-class turning, even with a full blade load. When one track speeds up, the other slows down an equal amount, so you have better maneuverability and faster cycle times. Load capacity, power and speed control are also better when working in soft conditions.
Load Sensing Hydraulics
Field-proven system senses the load and continuously adjusts hydraulic power to your blade to maximize efficiency.
*Compared to the previous D6N model.
Equipped for the Job
Optimize your machine
Elevated sprocket helps protect major components from harsh impacts and provides a modular design for convenient service.
Choose Heavy Duty undercarriage for aggressive applications like land clearing, side-slopes or rocky terrain. Or, choose SystemOne™ undercarriage that is designed to work and wear as a system for longer life and lower costs in abrasive or low/moderate impact applications. A broad choice of track shoe designs and widths help you further optimize your machine for performance and longer life.
Semi-Universal and Straight blades are designed with a strong box section to stand up to the most severe applications. Heavy moldboard construction, hardened bolt-on cutting edges and end bits add strength and durability.
The Variable Pitch Angle Tilt (VPAT) blade allows you to hydraulically adjust lift, angle and tilt for precise results. The VPAT blade is wider to take on a variety of applications so you can use your D6N for spreading material, finish grading, side casting, V-ditching and backfilling. An optional folding VPAT blade is available to reduce overall machine width to more easily meet transport requirements.
To help you match your D6N to the task at hand, you can outfit your D6N with a multi-shank ripper, winch or drawbar.
Ask your Cat dealer for available options to help you optimize your machine for the work you do.
Cat Connect Technologies
Monitor, manage and enhance job site operations
Cat Connect makes smart use of technology and services to improve your job site efficiency. Using the data from technology equipped machines, you’ll get more information and insight into your equipment and operations than ever before.
Cat Connect services are also available from your dealership including:
Equipment Management – increase uptime and reduce operating costs.
Productivity – monitor production and manage job site efficiency.
Safety – enhance job site awareness to keep your people and equipment safe.
LINK technologies provide wireless capability to machines enabling two-way transfer of information collected by on-board sensors, control modules, and other Cat Connect technologies using off-board apps, such as our VisionLink® software.
Product Link takes the guesswork out of equipment management. Track location, hours, fuel usage, productivity, idle time, and diagnostic codes through the online VisionLink interface. Manage your fleet in real time so you can maximize efficiency, improve productivity, and lower operating costs.
GRADE for Dozers
Cat Connect GRADE technologies help you hit target grade faster and more accurately. Finish jobs in fewer passes, and with less operator effort, saving you time and helping you increase profit.
Cat GRADE with Slope Assist (S) helps operators by automatically maintaining pre-established blade position. The system saves time, increases finish quality and reduces operator input. Experienced operators can work more productively and less experienced operators can achieve better quality results more quickly.
Cat Slope Indicate (S) displays machine cross-slope and fore/aft orientation on the primary monitor, helping operators work more accurately on slopes.
Cat Stable Blade (S) complements the operator’s blade-control input for attaining finish grades quicker with less effort.
Cat GRADE with 3D (O) is a factory integrated grade control system that enables operators to improve grading efficiency, accuracy, and productivity in both production dozing and fine-grading applications. The integrated design positions antennas on the cab roof, eliminating conventional blade-mounted masts and related cables. The AccuGrade Ready Option (ARO) is part of the package for added versatility, and AutoCarry™ is included to further boost productivity.
Cat AccuGrade (O) is a dealer-installed aftermarket grade-control system that provides increased grading versatility and the ability to scale capacity to changing needs, providing a choice of lasers for 2D flat-plane and slope work, Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) control for complex 3D cuts and contours, and/or systems using a Universal Total Station (UTS) for fine and finish grading.
AccuGrade Ready Option (ARO) (O) allows you to easily install or upgrade to AccuGrade 2D and 3D grade-control systems to add versatility and resale value to your machine.
(S) = Standard
(O) = Optional
Proven, integrated solutions
Emissions reduction technology on the D6N is designed to be transparent, with no action required from the operator. Low temperature regeneration runs automatically in the background while you work.
To meet the additional 80 percent reduction in NOx emissions required by Tier 4 Final/Stage IV emission standards, Caterpillar engineers added Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) to the already proven aftertreatment solution.
Diesel Exhaust Fluid
Selective Catalytic Reduction utilizes Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF), which can be conveniently refilled when you refuel. The DEF fill nozzle is located next to the fuel tank, with easy access via a rear step. A tone will sound (with key on), when the tank is nearly full and a gauge on the dash shows your fluid level. The system is designed to use one tank of DEF for each tank of fuel (1:1 DEF fill ratio). The D6N typically has used DEF at a rate of 2-3 percent of fuel consumption.
When the machine is turned off, a pump will automatically purge the DEF lines to help prevent freezing. A symbol on the dash and a light/symbol on the Ground Level Service Center indicate when the purge is complete and that it is safe to turn off the electrical disconnect. If the engine/aftertreatment temperatures are high, a Delayed Engine Shutdown will activate automatically to cool the machine and then purge the lines. For complete aftertreatment information, please refer to your machine’s Operation and Maintenance Manual.
Designed with protection in mind
- Optional rear vision camera enhances visibility behind the machine and is integrated into dash display.*
- Added grab handles on the door help you get on and off the tractor with greater ease.
- Well-appointed cab with good visibility helps operators stay focused and aware.
- A standard Operator Presence detection system allows the machine to idle when the operator is not seated, but locks out the power train and front and rear implements to avoid unintentional movement.
- New seat belt indicator enhances safety by reminding the operator to buckle up with a light/alarm. Once the machine is in gear, a fault code will register through Product Link if the operator fails to fasten the seat belt.
*Please consult your Cat dealer for availability.
Thinking generations ahead
- Fuel efficiency is improved by 10-15% compared to the previous model.
- Fuel savings reduces CO2 production by an average of approximately 2.6 metric tonnes per year.
- Meets Tier 4 Final/Stage IV emission standards.
- Typical Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) use of 2-3 percent of fuel consumption gives you excellent overall fluid efficiency.
- Major components are built to be rebuilt, eliminating waste and saving you money by giving your dozer a second – and even third – life.
Serviceability and Customer Support
When uptime counts
Ease of Service
The D6N is designed to help you get routine service done quickly and efficiently so you can get to work.
A two piece engine enclosure door, flip latches and a panel you can remove without tools gives you easy access to service points. Grease points are grouped and located in the engine compartment as well, so they are protected but still allow you to get to them quickly. The radiator door is hinged for easy cleanout access.
Electrical disconnect, hour meter and the remote lighting access switch are accessible from ground level on the left side of the machine. Hydraulic service points are grouped on the right side of the machine. And for quick undercarriage cleanouts, a new lockable shovel mounting bracket has been added to the back of the machine.
An automatic hydraulic valve lash eliminates the need for manual adjustment, saving you time and money on engine maintenance.
Purpose-built for performance
D6N WH Waste Handler
- Specialized guarding, striker bars and seals help protect the machine from impact and airborne debris.
- Bottom and final drive guarding help prevent debris from wrapping around or damaging vital components.
- The cooling system is designed for high debris environments, with easy access for cleanout.
- Specialized air handling features help deliver cleaner air to the machine.
- Landfill blades and center-hole track shoes help you optimize your waste handler for the job.
D6N Forestry Arrangement
- Optional sweeps help protect the cab, top and sides of the machine.
- Screens give added impact protection to cab windows (ISO 8084).
- Additional guarding helps protect the underside of the machine from stumps and other heavy debris.
- The cooling system is designed for high debris environments, with easy access for cleanout.
- POWER TRAIN
- OPERATOR ENVIRONMENT
- TECHNOLOGY PRODUCTS
- OTHER STANDARD EQUIPMENT