Holt of California is seeking a qualified Electric Power Generation Field Technician with an emphasis on individuals who possess Caterpillar gas and/or diesel engine expertise or persons who have knowledge on other manufacturers of diesel and gas engines at customers’ sites.
A technician that is qualified for this position, at a minimum, must have a strong gas and or diesel engine background. Knowledge with Caterpillar electronic engines is a plus but not necessary. Electric Power Generation background is a plus but not necessary. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Summary of Essential Abilities and Responsibilities
- Repairs and maintains electric generators, switchgear, electronic controls, diesel and gas engines including LPG, and dual fuel powered systems.
- Performs field service, repairs and installation of customers’ equipment.
- Operate Company service vehicle and applicable equipment to include lift trucks.
- Maybe requested at times to perform in shop service or repairs on customers’ equipment when applicable.
- Troubleshoot and diagnose customer complaints to determine the most effective or efficient repair using assigned test equipment, Caterpillar fuel setting group, electronic volt-ohm meter, megometer, battery and starting analyzer, load banks, and trade tools.
- Perform routine Level 1, 2, and 3 scheduled maintenance and inspection according to manufacturers specification including removal of generator/engine set for repair or replacement.
- Perform major engine or component overhaul including remove, and installation.
- Deliver and hook up rental generators following all applicable local, state, and federal codes, regulations and safety guidelines.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to read and comprehend written instruction, effectively write electronic service reports, effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to internal and external customers and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute KW, KVA, rate, ratio and percentage.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to read electrical schematics and one-line diagrams.
- Ability to apply ohm’s law and understand basic electrical formulae.
- Rudimentary knowledge of motor controls, circuits, and distribution.
- Ability to discuss and implement generator paralleling schemes.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and/or five years related experience. Successful completion or equivalent knowledge of the following product areas: Caterpillar Engine Electronics and Caterpillar 3000 thru 3500 Series Engines. Must have a strong gas and or diesel engine background. Knowledge with Caterpillar electronic engines is a plus but not necessary.
Electric Power Generation background is a plus but not necessary. Must have the ability to effectively work on a laptop computer with knowledge of window-based programs.
Holt of California is an Equal Opportunity Employer.