Holt of California has a long and rich history
1883 The Stockton Wheel Company was established by Benjamin and Charles Holt.
1886 The first Holt "link belt" combined harvester was sold, replacing unreliable mechanical geared harvesters.
1890 Benjamin Holt unveiled his version of the steam traction engine with new, patented steering clutches.
1892 The Stockton Wheel Company was incorporated as The Holt Manufacturing Company.
1904 Benjamin Holt tested a steam powered machine that moved on self-laying tracks instead of wheels. He named this invention the "Caterpillar".
1925 The Holt Manufacturing Company merged with the C.L. Best Tractor Company to form the Caterpillar Tractor Company.
1931 Marysville Tractor & Equipment Co. was formed as a Caterpillar dealer by Daniel W. Beatie to cover Marysville, California.
1935 Roseville facility in Placer County was opened by Marysville Tractor.
1939 Holt Bros. was formed as a Caterpillar dealer by Parker M. Holt and Harry D. Holt to cover Santa Maria, California.
1940 Holt Bros. gave up Santa Maria territory to Joseph G. Moore Company and took over the Stockton, California territory from L.F. Grimsely, Inc. which included facilities in Lodi and Tracy.
1947 Marysville Tractor opened a location in Robbins, California.
1955 Ken Beatie became President & General Manager of Marysville Tractor.
1962 Holt Bros. added Modesto territory from Valley Tractor Co., including facilities in Los Banos and Merced. Service territory consisted of six counties in the San Joaquin Valley and although the primary industry was agriculture, logging and construction contributed to yearly sales volume.
1962 Marysville Tractor added Sacramento, Yolo and part of Solano counties to territory (part of Weaver Tractor Co.) with locations in Sacramento and Woodland.
1963 Marysville Tractor & Equipment Co. officially changed its name to Tenco Tractor, Inc. with facilities in Marysville, Robbins, Sacramento and Woodland, California. The name was derived from the ten counties it served. Business rapidly changed from predominantly agricultural to industrial, while maintaining its agricultural base.
1967 Caterpillar's world headquarters building opened in downtown Peoria, Illinois.
1969 Tenco opened new headquarters in Pleasant Grove north of Sacramento.
1977 Gordon Beatie became President of Tenco Tractor.
1982 Tenco Tractor, Inc. took over part of the I.G. Zumwalt Company's territory with facilities in West Sacramento and Williams.
1987 Parker M. Holt and Harry D. Holt retired from Holt Bros. Victor Wykoff, Jr. and Ron Monroe purchased the company and became President/CEO and Executive Vice President, respectively.
1999 Tenco Tractor Inc. and Holt Bros. joined forces to become Holt of California with approximately 500 employees in 11 locations. Ken Monroe became President of the new company.
2000 Caterpillar celebrated their 75th Anniversary.
2004 Caterpillar celebrated 100 years of the track-type tractor. Sales and revenues reached $30 billion.
2006 Holt of California celebrated its 75th anniversary and now has over 700 employees in 14 locations.
2007 Holt opened a Cat Rental Store in Vacaville and an Ag Store in Woodland.
Holt of California, over 80 years of helping customers!